Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 78

I decided to give knitting another try today.  Because it has been so long I had to revisit the DVD "The Complete Beginner's Guide to Knitting".  This time I changed the yarn I was using to a beautiful but frizzy blue yarn.  I love the yarn, but because it's frizzy while doing the knitting I kept catching the little fly a ways and had to keep starting over.  After an hour of trial and error, I got through the first part of the DVD, up until the end of the knit stitch and she tells me that I'm now ready to do a Garter Stitch Scarf!  I agree and pull out my practice knitting and start on the scarf.

I had to cast on 26 stitches for the large scarf and then just do knit stitches until I have 24".  After that I have no idea!  Okay, well I know I'm supposed to bind off and weave the ends.  Well I haven't got to those parts of the DVD so once I have a 24" long scarf, I"ll watch those two chapters and hope I can figure out what needs to be done.  I worked on this knitting for a few hours, stopping for breaks and to get ready for work tomorrow, so I didn't get too much done, just about 7".  But I really enjoyed working on it, and I would still be working on it if I didn't need to post this and then finish getting ready for tomorrow.  Knitting is really fun, who knew!  I'm really proud of myself though, I can't wait until I can make something bigger.  I have directions for a prayer shawl so I think once I"m more comfortable I'll make that!

Here is what I have done so far:


Here is a close up of the work:


And here is Karma trying to walk off with the "working" string:

No comments:

Post a Comment