Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 62

Let me explain how I got to today's craft.

About a year ago, someone hit (and ran) my car while it was parked in front of my house and knocked part of my drivers side mirror off my car.  I still have a partial mirror and part of the plastic casing, but it's a mess.  Last May when my car had the yearly inspection, they asked if I would be getting the mirror fixed, I told them yes, and they passed me.  Well I did have every intention of getting the mirror fixed, but after getting a quote, I couldn't afford it!  May is almost here and I'm just about due for another inspection, and my mirror is still not fixed.  I don't think I'm going to pass again.  What does this have to do with today's craft?  I'm getting there...

On the way to work I passed a car parked on the side of the road with a damaged drivers side mirror (and anyone who lives up here knows, it's common to see side mirrors hanging off cars because parking on narrow streets up here is a hazard) but being they had a red car, they had used red duct tape to reattach their mirror and it looked decent.  A tad bit ghetto, but decent!  I make a note that I should try this and go to work.  Upon getting to work and checking my email, I see that Michael's Crafts has sent me an email letting me know that their duct tape is on sale today only.  I decide to run over at lunch to pick up a role of black duct tape to try to fix my drivers mirror, and hopefully pass inspection next month!

Now, this brings me to today's craft!  When I got to Michael's to buy the black duct tape I see they have several pretty awesome printed duct tape rolls and end up finding one that has flames all over it.  My heart flutters and I think, "What can I make with that?!?!".  I remember I've seen duct tape wallets AND I remember that Stan and I just had a conversation not to long ago that his wallet is on it's way out.

After work we went grocery shopping and made dinner so it took me a while before I began the wallet, that is why I'm posting so late, but this is what I came up with using this tutorial I found HERE.  I am posting the "after" picture first so you can see what I came up with, but if you are interested in seeing the process come together, keep scrolling down.

I'm happy to report that it came out 110% better then I expected, it's durable and fun and I LURV it.  Yes...lurv!!!  So does Stan!  He now has a new wallet that is freakin' awesome and cost less then $2.50 to make!

The finished wallet, I put my stuff in it so you could see it finished, and the check register is where the money would normally go!  Notice I made a pocket under the credit cards AND a window for the drivers license (I had to hide vital info, which is why the cards are tucked and pulled out weird):


The beginning strips, layering duct tape:


More layering:


Finished stacking for actual wallet:


Covering the sides:


Actual wallet all done, now moving on to the compartments:


Here is where the credit cards will go:


Credit card compartment attached and pocket for extra stuff made:


After I added the license window, and closed it up, this is how it looks folded and closed:

No comments:

Post a Comment